INVESTMENT ANALYST INTERNSHIP
Engage is a first-of-its-kind enterprise venture platform that dramatically accelerates startup growth and corporate innovation and is administered by the Enterprise Innovation Institute at Georgia Tech. 11 leading corporations – AT&T, Chick-Fil-A, Cox Enterprises, Delta, Georgia Pacific, Georgia Power, Goldman Sachs, The Home Depot, Intercontinental Exchange, Invesco, and UPS – partnered with the Georgia Institute of Technology and Invest Georgia, have backed the Engage fund, managed by Tech Square Ventures.
Informed by insights derived from corporate partners and cross-industry trends, we invest in startups from around the world. Post-investment, they enter an enterprise go-to-market program that accelerates the path to scale, working directly with corporate partners to implement pilots and contracts. At the same time, our corporate partners are empowered to strengthen their innovation capacity and learn from each other in a cross-disciplinary manner.
Interns at Engage will have the unique opportunity to learn about the go-to-market growth platform and venture fund by supporting the Engage team on the different aspects of working with our startups and corporate partners.
The internship program will bring together a team of 8 talented undergraduate students from Georgia Tech across four roles – Investments Analysts, Insights Analysts, Design + Communications, and Operations – as pictured below.
The information below is intended exclusively for students in Georgia Tech’s Honors Program. If accepted, students will have the ability to register for a 3-credit Engage Internship on a letter grade basis for the course GT 3803. The internship program will be managed by Dr. Nammy Vedire, the Director of Platform & Operations at Engage.
The internship will begin in August 2021 and run through the Fall semester. Group meetings might be conducted remotely but students will be asked to meet for group work in the Engage studio. Applicants should be creative, hardworking, self-motivated leaders with an interest in innovation and startups. The specific responsibilities and requirements for the Investment Analyst Internship are detailed below:
OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE:
Investment Analyst Interns will gain an understanding of our investment thesis, what we look for, and our investment process. The investment phase includes assisting in deal sourcing, screening, diligence, and closing.
- Sourcing: Help identify and engage potential investment opportunities through research, outreach, networking, and events.
- Screening: Conduct initial reviews for fit and opportunity. The initial review typically includes reviewing company-provided materials (executive summary or presentation deck) and phone screening.
- Diligence: Assist in diligence on companies we are actively reviewing. Diligence will include analyzing the founders and team, market size, competitive landscape, opportunity timing, fit with our investment thesis, IP and defensibility, business model and the accompanying financial models, key milestones, sales and distribution, and our ability to help the company succeed.
- Closing: Assist in preparing deal memos, term sheet preparation, legal due diligence, legal documentation, and the closing process and communications.
- Additional Tasks: Investment Analysts may also assist with:
- Portfolio company reporting
- Limited Partner communications and reports.
- Superior communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to produce professional written communication and reports.
- Basic financial modeling and integrated financial statement proficiency.
- Experience or interest in researching and evaluating companies/industries (business model, competitive landscape, product, customer traction, company positioning).
- Curiosity and passion for understanding customers, markets, and business models.
- Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Business and Finance majors will be given preference.
- The Investment Analyst internships are structured to provide exposure to the three primary areas of venture capital – investments/capital markets, portfolio management, and fund administration. All interns will initially focus on investments and as (or if) they progress, will add portfolio management and fund administration tasks.
LOCATION: Students can work remotely but should be able to meet weekly at the Engage Offices in Tech Square (Centergy One, 75 5th St NW, Suite 2100, Atlanta, GA).
COMMITMENT: These positions will be part-time opportunities requiring a total of 168 hours for the Fall semester (12 hours per week for 14 weeks). Students will need to work out a schedule for those 12 hours that fits around their other classes. (Time spent at weekly meetings or special events like speakers, receptions, etc. will count towards the 12 hours — and students will be excused from attending if there is a time conflict with their other classes or if attending would exceed their 12 hours per week).
WEEKLY GROUP MEETING: In addition to their specific responsibilities, interns will meet weekly to listen to guest speakers, learn leadership skills, develop a deeper understanding of investing, hone business skills, and discuss progress on their projects.
Summary Report: At the conclusion of the internship, students will submit an Internship Report (1500-200 words – about 5 pages, double spaced) to Dr. Nammy Vedire describing their internship work and explaining how they have attained the following learning objectives:
- Learn to apply the primary concepts in three areas of venture capital investing – investment/capital markets, portfolio management, and fund administration.
- Demonstrate the ability to create and develop original ideas/concepts, integrate feedback/critique, and communicate ideas visually and verbally.
- Ability to work effectively in collaborative multi-disciplinary teams.
GRADING: The letter grade for the internship course will be based on Dr. Vedire’s:
- Evaluation of the Internship Report (20%).
- Evaluation of the internship performance (80%):
- Completion of the required 168 hours of internship work
- Evidence of attainment of the above learning objectives
- Overall quality of internship work performed
HOW TO APPLY
Interested students will require their resume to complete the application form below:
Apply here – https://gatech.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_88iOzVF1GhBEZ0y
Phase I deadline for applications is 11:59 pm on Monday, May 10th 2021.
NOTE: If slots are still available, applications will be opened for Phase II registrations and communicated via email.
PHASE I INTERVIEW PROCESS
Selected students may be asked to interview by phone or video conference between May 10th-13th, 2021. These arrangements will be made via email with the chosen students directly. Interview decisions will be conveyed by email and permits will be issued by May 21st, 2021 for students to register.